Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pot Melts...

What is a pot melt, you ask? Well, let me tell you. A melt is when fused glass is layered into a pot or onto a wire mesh, then fired at a high temp so that the glass melts. The melting glass drips down onto a flat, prepared surface, creating interesting color combos as it fuses back together.

I tried this for the very first time a couple weeks ago, and wanted to share my process and the results with you.

First, I applied kiln wash to the inside of a 6 inch terra cotta pot saucer, so the melted glass wouldn't stick to it. I also put a large piece of clear glass on the bottom of the saucer; I had read somewhere that this helps keep the kiln wash from peeling off and embedding in the glass.

Next, I strung wire between two 6 inch kiln posts and laid that on top of the terra cotta saucer. If you are trying this at home, make sure you use specially made wire that is safe at high temps. I got mine at a local glass company where I get my fusible glass.



Then I layered peices of fusible glass on the wire. A key here is not to use too many dark colors; they tend to overwhelm the finished piece and leave it muddy. Also use very little black for the same reason. I used a mixture of opaque and transparent glass.



And loaded up the kiln...



The finished melts, ready to carve up into some pendants...



You like?!



.

7 comments:

Erin M. said...

those are REALLY neat looking! do you have your own kiln?

Toni said...

Thanks CagedBird! Yes, I do have my own kiln. It's a little small though, wish I had a bigger one. :)

Anonymous said...

I like....how do you cut it up and do you sand it to get the nice rounded edges. I have a kiln for my lampwork but never fused glass.

Boutique By Bonnie said...

Great! I'd love to see the next step also since I'm unfamiliar with glass work.

Smokeylady60 said...

Very Pretty and a great way to
make them!

KayzKreationz said...

That turned out really great. I took a class on pot melts and loved it. Finally got around to trying a mini pot melt in my kiln and it turned out great. I just have to get everything lined up to get the piece listed.

http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com

Nichola said...

I love this pendant. Congrats on the story from Louisiana.